Parasoft SOAtest Review

Creates tests automatically based on recorded traffic

What is our primary use case?

We use a lot of tools from Parasoft toolset, but with SOAtest specifically, we use it for creating and running integration tests.

What is most valuable?

They have a feature where they can record traffic and create tests on the report traffic. That is one of the most valuable features that we've found. So we can run our UI automation tests and directly create services tests from that, which is really, really helpful.

What needs improvement?

The product is very slow to start up, and that is a bit of a problem, actually. It is not as fast and it's a bit clunky, especially if you use it for the whole day or for a long time, it doesn't save the data, for example. So, it's a bit clunky and slow.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

The scalability is good.

The stability is good. Currently, in our organization, we have about twelve to fifteen people using the solution and as the organization grows, and the "number of people" requirement is growing, we have plans to increase our usage. We also plan to move to other areas and try to get other people to use it as well. We do plan to increase the usage in the next one or two years.

The technical support is very good. Any time we have any issues and we raise a question, we get fast answers and we get fairly good answers, because being a licensed tool, we don't get a lot of online applications, but if you raise a request, support is pretty good.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward, easy to install, and easy to get the license keys and use them. It's very easy.

They do have a confusing licensing structure. Their licensing structure is really complex and being able to find out the right product for you, for an organization specifically, is a bit harder, but once you find the thing, their scalability and stability is pretty good.

It's not a simple licensing model. It's not a licensing model that just, "do this and you get this", it's a bit more complicated and quite complex. For a person who is not used to this at all, it's a bit complex.

We did evaluate the other options in the market, Tosca and SoapUI, which we evaluated. Ultimately, we went with this tool.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, and if you're looking to migrate from an existing toolset as well, it's a pretty good solution. It is quite vast, and they have a lot of other toolsets in there. It has a lot of other toolsets like virtualize which is really helpful. The toolset is really good, I'm really impressed with it.

In the base licensing, we would like to have CLI support included because CLI is the most basic stuff that we need. Currently, it's a separate licensing that we need for that. If I'm getting an application and I need to use it. I would like to use the command line interface as well. I would expect that to be part of the base licensing.

I would rate this solution at an eight and a half out of ten.

3 visitors found this review helpful