PegaRULES Review

Offers a unique environment where its entire architecture is very unified

What is our primary use case?

Our customer base is varied, ranging from insurance to banking to government. In the insurance domain Pega is used for things like policy, as middleman management, policy administration and claims administration. In the banking realm, it's used across multiple areas from CRM systems, customer service, sales automation, and things like loan origination, payment investigations and payment arrangement management. In the government sector, it's used particularly as a case management software to manage processes.

Most of our customers are enterprise businesses, we are partners of Pega and our company functions as a system integrator. I am co-founder and Chief Technology Officer.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable things in the solution is that Pega offers a unique environment where its entire architecture is very unified, meaning it's used free across multiple areas. In other products, say IBM, and other solutions, the products range across several solutions and include separate components for analytics, separate components for the UI and a separate component for business roles. Pega, on the other hand, is one unified architecture and that is very valuable. The second thing is that Pega is model driven architecture so building something up on it from models is very quick.

What needs improvement?

From a room for improvement point of view, what I've seen is that many customers want solutions that directly meet their requirements so while Pega has somewhat vertical solutions on Pega customer service and sales automation, industry and customer experts expect more out-of-box solutions to be readily available on Pega.

It is the same for additional features - the customer expects more business solutions to be directly available on Pega. For example, when I say business solutions, Pega could have a business solution on customer service, a business solution on sales automation. Pega may not have a proper business solution for LOS, or Loan Origination System. These are common business solutions which could be made available in the solution, it would be very good if they could focus on the direct business solutions which customers expect over here.

I've been using this solution since 2003, so 17 or 18 years.

As enterprise customers are using it, you can tell it's stable. It's one solution which we've basically used and worked both on-prem as well as on cloud and it's one of the other unique value aspects of Pega, that the same solution can work on cloud as well as on-prem.

From a scalability perspective, it's scalable. In terms of high volume, we have some applications based out of Vietnam which have millions of cases, so in terms of the number of cases, it's highly scalable. We have other customers who also have a high volume of users.

Because I've been working with Pega since 2003, I can see the improvements that have been made in terms of how they go about establishing contact with customers. These days, it's pretty easy and accessible.

Initial setup is quite straightforward. Deployment time is based on the actual size of the project. On average, it can take anywhere from three to five months to build. Usually, the team servicing from our side is around five to seven people and from the client side it's usually a project manager and a couple of others.

What other advice do I have?

PegaRules is a very powerful rule engine. It's a very powerful platform to build any sort of solution onto. Where a customer makes mistakes is when they underestimate the business expertise of a partner, so they really need to ensure that initial implementation is right. It is very important to understand who is implementing it on the ground. If they don't understand the business requirements and the required business outcome of management, it can be awkward, and not in line with expectations.

The main thing I have realized is that understanding the business problem and understanding the required outcome for the customer is very important. One of the biggest business areas is to focus on understanding problems and the kind of business outcome the customer requires. It's really about understanding the big picture.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10. There is always room for improvement, but I've seen many customers getting very good value out of this solution.

Hybrid Cloud