Pentaho Data Integration Review

Scales well with data and processes, but the cost should be lower and real-time processing capabilities improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using just the simple features of this product.

We're using it as a data warehouse and then for building dimensions.

What needs improvement?

The shortcoming in version 7 is that we are unable to connect to Google Cloud Storage (GCS), where I can write the results from Pentaho. I'm able to connect to S3 using Pentaho 8, but when using it for GCS, I'm unable to connect. With people moving from on-premises deployments to the cloud, be it S3, Azure, or Google, we need a plugin where we can interact with these cloud vendors.

I would like to see improvements made for real-time data processing. It is something that I will be looking out for.

We have been using Pentaho Data Integration for three years.

For all of the features that we have been using, it is a stable product.

In terms of data loading and processes, the scalability is good.

We have a team of four people who are using it for analytics.

As we are using the Community Version, we have not been in contact with technical support. Instead, we rely on forums and websites when we need to resolve a problem.

In the past, I have worked with Talend, as well as SAP BO Data Services (BODS). However, that was with another company. This organization started with Pentaho and we are still using it.

It is a straightforward setup process. It took between three and four hours to complete.

We are using the Community Version, which is available free of charge.

The price of the regular version is not reasonable and it should be lower.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this product is that if they want to do batch processing, then this is a good choice. The amount of data that it loads and processes is good.

Based on the features that I have used and my experience, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Pentaho Data Integration reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with SAP Data Services
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarNirmal Kosuru
User

Yes the integration tool should be made available as Professional or Community / Standard / Enterprise Editions and Pricing should be made accordingly on the industry by industry  basis or cases by case. And also there should be Transparency in the pricing and availability of community edition as the case was earlier when Pentaho management realeased it into market.