Pentaho Data Integration Review

Quite simple to learn and there is a lot of information available online

What is our primary use case?

We have an event planning system, which enables us to obtain a large report. It includes data Mart or data warehouse data. This is where we take data from the IT online system and pass it to the data warehouse. Then, from the data warehouse, they generate reports. We have 6 developers who are using the Panel Data Integrator, but there are no end users. We deploy the product, and the customer uses it for reporting. We have one person who undertakes a regular maintenance activity when it is required.

How has it helped my organization?

As we are a software company, we are using the tools provided with the Pentaho Data Integration for our various teams.

What is most valuable?

Pentaho Data Integration is quite simple to learn, and there is a lot of information available online. It is not a steep learning curve. It also integrates easily with other databases and that is great. We use the provided documentation, which is a simple process for integration compared to other proprietary tools.

What needs improvement?

I don't think they market it that well. We can make suggestions for improvements but they don't seem to take the feedback on board. This contrasts with Informatica who are really helpful and seem to listen more to their customer feedback. I would also really like to see improved data capture. At the moment the emphasis seems to be on data processing. I would like to see a real-time processing data integration tool. This would provide instant reporting whenever the data changes. I'm still in the very recent stage concerning Pentaho Data Integration, but it can't really handle what I describe as "extreme data processing" i.e. when there is a huge amount of data to process. That is one area where Pentaho is still lacking.

We have been using Pentaho Data Integration for 6 years. The customer is using Mirabilis Cloud, which is a public cloud. We are currently using version A.3.

Technical Support is really good. To get our answers only takes a little bit of time.

One of our customers was completely into the Microsoft core framework. We have to use SSIS because it's readily available with them, and is part of the system. We had to use it for five years. As also mentioned one of our teams has worked with Informatica in the past. In terms of integration, Informatica isn't more powerful, but more accurate in some aspects. The community is also quite strong.

The setup of Pentaho Data Integration is straightforward.

We implemented Pentaho Data Integration in-house. The current deployment has taken three months for the current set of requirements. We have another deployment in the pipeline where we are connecting other different data sources. These projects usually take a few months to complete.

Sometimes we provide the licenses or the customer can procure their own licenses. Previously, we had an enterprise license. Currently, we are on a community license as this is adequate for our needs.

What other advice do I have?

For newcomers to the product, it is best to start with something simple. You can then scale it up fast as it is not a steep learning curve. If somebody wants to set up a good inbound integration platform, they can use the Panel Data Integrator. It's really simple and easy to use. The online community really helps you with numerous issues, such as licensing and a lot of other things. I would rate Pentaho Data Integration 8 out of 10.

Other
More Pentaho Data Integration reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with SAP Data Services
Learn what your peers think about Pentaho Data Integration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.