Pentaho Data Integration Review

It is possible to understand how to develop an ETL solution even when using it for the first time.

Valuable Features

• Pentaho Kettle has a very intuitive and easy to use graphical user interface (GUI)
  • It is possible to understand how to develop an ETL solution even when using it for the first time
  • The Community Edition is free and very efficient
  • They have versions for Windows, Linux and Mac
  • Large selection of options.

Improvements to My Organization

We have developed some complex ETL processes for some clients and they are very satisfied with the results.

Room for Improvement

They could improve the logging generator. Sometimes the error description is so generic that it is not possible to detect the problem.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

I use the Community Edition without support or customer service. I recommend the Pentaho Community Forums for technical issues.

I have used Informatica PowerCenter, which is an excellent solution. However, it´s not so easy to use as Pentaho kettle.

The initial setup is straightforward. All you need to do is to download it, unzip the file into a folder and execute the Spoon.bat (for Windows) or Spoon.sh (for Linux) to start the graphical user interface (GUI).

Implementation Team

In-house. The implementation is very simple. Data developers will not encounter difficulties to implement ETL solutions.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The community edition is free. If you need a full BI solution, I would recommend the enterprise edition.

Other Advice

Pentaho Kettle is an excellent solution to implement ETL process.