Pentaho Data Integration Review

It enables a technical product manager to be able to write ETL jobs themselves.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing for me is that it enables a technical product manager to be able to write ETL jobs themselves, which saves developers time so that they can do more important things.

How has it helped my organization?

Now developers focus on improving it as a tool (since it's open source) and teach Project Managers about it. The Project Managers are the ones responsible for their own ETL jobs as they know what they want, so hence it's best for them to manage their own jobs.

What needs improvement?

Its performance can be improved so it will work better with Big Data. Also, sometimes it can be very buggy which keeps away some potential users.

I've used it for two years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

The performance for Big Data needs to be improved.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

There is a community that can support limited technical help. I'll give a 6 to the community since it's not very active.

It was already in place when I joined the company.

It's very easy to install.

We did it in-hous. It's worth it to have someone in your company who knows Pentaho really well.

ROI is pretty good since it is kind of a major thing in our company.

The only cost is the time it takes for the developer to get to know it.

What other advice do I have?

If your ETL jobs are small and straightforward, then this solution is definitely worth it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company is also contributing back to the open source project.