Pentaho Review

Helps us build decision supported systems.

What is most valuable?

Here are the valuable features:

• Open source solution
  • Fully integrated
  • Customizable
  • Extensible with a large community behind it
  • Has a powerful ETL process (Pentaho Data Integration)

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us build decision supported systems. The use of MicroStrategy improved the decision-making process through enterprise report automation and corporate information management.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see self-service analysis and front-end tools.

The "self-service" feature of all BI tools deals with let final user (normally not tech one) do his/her work navigating data in a freely and not organized way.

Is exactly the opposite as create and manage a DW where data, metadata, are known and processed before.

Normally, traditional BI tools are more complex and complete managing traditional DW and in recent years other BI tools (like Qlik and Tableau for example) appears to fulfill this features.

We have used this solution for five years.

There have been no stability issues. There were some minor bugs that were fixed by the manufacturer in their regular patches.

There have been no scalability issues. Pentaho is based on industry standards to build scalable solutions. It’s very simple to scale up, horizontally, and vertically.

Technical support is good.

The installation had medium complexity. There is good documentation, but you have to follow certain procedures before using it.

This solution has an open source philosophy. There is a community edition without license costs, although it takes some more time to develop.

There is also an enterprise option that allows you to perform certain tasks easily and includes support.

What other advice do I have?

Have a global and corporate design in mind. However, start with a particular area, small and well-defined.

1 visitor found this review helpful