PeopleSoft Review

Customizable with a good interface, but is very bad in terms of performance, resilience, and scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use it for financial books. It is used for bookkeeping, accounting, and reporting.

It is on-premise, and the next logical step in the journey is to either take it to a public cloud such as GCP or go for SaaS.

What is most valuable?

It is a customizable product. We can customize it based on our needs, which is one of the features that I like about PeopleSoft.

As far as financial accounting is concerned, the user interface is very good. You can also configure Chart of Accounts for all performance insights.

What needs improvement?

Scalability is not there in PeopleSoft. Its performance and resilience are also very bad. When you're trying to stretch it, it breaks. It is not resilient.

It is also not stable. It is stable as far as data is concerned, but the infrastructure is not stable.

I have been using this solution for more than 13 years.

It is not stable. It is stable in terms of data, but it is not stable in terms of infrastructure. This is because PeopleSoft has to rely on Oracle and Microsoft for the underlying infrastructure stack, so it boils down to how reliable these components are. From what I have seen, Windows is not reliable, and therefore, the time it takes for transaction processing is not good. It takes a long time.

It is not scalable. When you're trying to stretch it, it breaks.

Their technical support is not that good. Because we've done so much customization, they don't support us. They support only out-of-the-box features.

It was complex. It was done 15 years ago. I wasn't there when the installation was done, but it was quite complex.

What other advice do I have?

I am not satisfied with this solution because its performance is not good. Everything Oracle promises is under-delivered. For example, version 12c of Oracle Database promises an in-memory capability feature, and they say that in-memory makes your workload super fast, but we haven't seen that improvement. It is a case of overpromising and under-delivering. It is also very difficult to adopt the features that Oracle keeps releasing. PeopleSoft is certainly very flexible, but we cannot use the new features.

I wouldn't recommend this solution because PeopleSoft is now the end of life. There are no new customers for PeopleSoft. I wouldn't suggest anyone to go for it. It is a dying product. Even though Oracle says that it will be supporting PeopleSoft until 2030, you shouldn't go for PeopleSoft.

I would rate PeopleSoft a six out of ten.

More PeopleSoft reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle HCM Cloud
Learn what your peers think about PeopleSoft. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.