PeopleSoft Review

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the continuous roll-out of bug fixes, new features, and functionalities. Oracle really listens to the customers and provides valuable content for when those PUMS come out.

Improvements to My Organization

It empowers users to perform ad hoc analyses themselves rather than having to go to IT or somewhere else. That makes it much more efficient for our users to do their jobs because they have access to data analysis in front of them instead of having to find that information elsewhere.

Room for Improvement

We struggle with release notes. There's a lot of information, and I would love to see release notes broken down into compartments. For example, here's security, this is what you need to do; or, here's the business side or the functional side, and it gives us the technical stuff. I would like to see the release notes deconstructed and then parsed out into, for example, I'm a technical developer or I'm a super user and I need to understand how this is going to change my business processes. I think that's where we've had some detailed workshops where we've had to dig that information out. Not that it's not there, but it's time consuming to do so. So it would be nice to have a bit more user-friendly release notes for the user community.

Use of Solution

For HR, we've been using it for four years, and for finance, we've been on it for two-and-a-half years.

We've had no issues with deploying it.

I'd say it's stable because one of the things that we do is we separate all of our testing cycles. We do all of the initial testing in one environment, then we do integration, and then we do a brand new copy and production for our user acceptance. We have a few small defects that we have to resolve once we go live.

When we get to that part through Hypercare, which is usually where we keep project people on-site to help with defects, and we transition over to our support vendor, we don't see a dip or an increase in tickets. That helps. Because of our business people that have committed to doing that, it helps us keep the stabilization where it should be.

We are so excited about how this can scale. We know that everything is kind of hinging on version 8.5.5, so we're excited about it. I've had so many of my colleagues come up and say, "Anne, when can we do this and when can we go on 8.5.5?" I don't know that we can go this year, but we want fluidity and elasticity. We want all of this stuff. We love how they've taken the fluid pages and you can choose. If you're a super user and you need to get your hands on a keyboard, you can go classic. It's nice for our people that are out across the country. All they really want is to be able to use their mobile devices. We're all excited about it. They see the scalability and we feel like we're just getting our feet wet with it.

I love Oracle support. When we were going through our first set of PUMS last year, we did zero to 13, so it was a huge amount that we took on to do that many images all at once. We had probably half a dozen hot fixes that Oracle provided. I love that they were willing to help us. They knew that we were under some critical time frames and some of it was for the very user-facing applications, like travel and expense.

When you've got 3,000 people who are out there trying to approve expense reports and they're getting errors, technical support understood that and they responded very quickly. I am very happy with Oracle support.

We were on JD Edwards previously. We had been on it for 12 years. We had never upgraded so we're still going through a cultural shift in being on a product that is progressive, that is continually changing. We're trying to keep up with the usability side of it, which is a struggle for our users, but they're seeing the value in it and they're letting go of the old, comfortable JDE system. It's been a little difficult at first, but it's gotten much, much better in the last year-and-a-half.

Other Advice

You need to understand your core business processes. What are you really looking to get out of a software application? The application can do whatever you want it to do. Look at what your core processes are, look at what the application offers, and change your processes to fit that software.

Also, the more vanilla you can go, the easier it is, the better it is and the more value you're going to see when you go do PUMS, when you go to DBK, and you add all those bells and whistles.