PeopleSoft Review

Valuable Features:

We love the General Ledger feature. It does what we need it to do -- financial reports of accounts payable, T&O, and T&E. I'm not called at 2 am to put out a fire anymore. And for me, the stability is extremely important. It's important that it's reliable, up, and available for clients when they need.

Improvements to My Organization:

So many organizations are using it that we didn't have to develop something in-house. PeopleSoft has been around for a long time, and we bought it because it's a credible product. We didn't have to spend the money to build something ourselves that has all the functionalities that it already has. It does everything we need it to do.

Room for Improvement:

We've had to build all our data warehouses and datamarts in order for PeopleSoft to do the detailed reporting that we need. I really wish we didn't have to do that. I think that if PeopleSoft had more detailed reporting we wouldn't have to do all this work. That's the real pain point for me, especially since we have to provide support for all of it. It's not a part of PeopleSoft, so we've had to create a whole other piece that connected.

Use of Solution:

We've had it for fifteen or twenty years. The clients love it. It's very easy to use.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

It've very stable and we've had no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

Scalable is good now, and the team knows how to support it as we grow.

Initial Setup:

We had a large vendor team help us with the initial setup, and then I helped my team with the transition, making sure we were trained and ready to support it. But I didn't physically move code or anything like that myself.

We actually started the project for initial setup about five times because the clients wanted everything. We asked for specific functionalities because it really can do anything, but you can't just have the entire world. So the vendor came in with a solution, and we went with it. But the vendor team was huge and costly, which we can't have going forward.

We're hoping now as we're upgrading to the next version that we'll have our own in-house resources to do the work ourselves. But the PeopleSoft setup was so big with so many other pieces we needed for reporting that it took a long time to design with many parts that were extras in the downstream part of the system.

In fact, the integration with all the interfaces in our system was probably the hardest thing. We have over 80 different systems that feed our PeopleSoft application with around seven different formats of the general ledger. So from changing the old, very cryptic systems to the new layout has been a challenge. We've bit the bullet on doing that, though, and it's a lot to maintain.

Implementation Team:

We used a mixed implementation team of people from IBM, Infosys, and our in-house team.

Other Advice:

It's good and we're pretty satisfied with it. Make sure you go with the latest version of PeopleSoft, but also make sure you plan and have the right people and resources trained to know the system. If you're new, get a demo and have a plan.