PeopleSoft Review

The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules. We really like the way they link and work together because there are no duplicate entries.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the integration between the HR Payroll and Financials modules. We really like the way they link and work together because there are no duplicate entries and the information flows from HR Payroll to Financials, and from Financials back to HR Payroll.

How has it helped my organization?

There are several ways it's improved our organization. It's an all-encompassing suite of applications, and the GUI is very user-friendly. Also, PeopleSoft has a mobile app that's coming out soon, which, to me, is very cool. My client's not there yet, but they will be within the next year. Even the desktop application is user-friendly. Overall, it's a full suite of apps so that you don't have to but individual component parts.

What needs improvement?

My developers want to use more HTML instead of the specialized tool, PeopleTools because, they say, it's better from a user perspective.

Also, making it more configurable would be an improvement, so that users can modify it the way they want so that we don't have to customize it. What my team has to do is make customizations because, let's say, if you have HCM work and a work list from HCM and FSEN, when the user sees that, it's all in one window so that they can see what application that was from. If you don't have to customize, your upgrades are easier. You don't have to retro-fit all of your customizations if they can use the delivered functionality. When they deliver PeopleSoft, they could make it so that it's just a flip of a switch, instead of an actual code change.

Performing an upgrade takes a long time. I know that when they're talking now about how the new version 9.2 has new PUM updates, you're supposed to be able to do them. Oracle will advertise, "hey, you can do this in 4 weeks. Just implement, put it right in. Boom! You're done." But they don't tell the customer, "well, if you have 10,000 customized objects, it's not going to be that easy."

The bugs are always in the latest release, so I always tell my client to be one release behind, let somebody else find all those bugs, and their response time in fixing those bugs sometimes take a little while. The customer can't wait up to two months for a fix.

We've had no issues scaling it.

It depends on where your customer is coming from and how willing they are to change. I've had clients that came from a PeopleSoft mixed mainframe, and they were really on board and really wanted that change. They did a lot of training and it went very well. I've also had clients who came from J.D. Edwards that was totally customized. They loved it. They didn't want to change, and it's been hard overcoming the resistance.

What other advice do I have?

Get your users on board and engaged. That's the number one thing. Get them in their training, which, unfortunately, is the first thing people always cut from implementation, and that's the last thing they should cut. When you're implementing a new product, you don't want to cut training.