Perforce QA Wizard Pro Review

Shared change lists are helpful, but poor scalability leads to problems with instability

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think that using this solution has improved the way our organization functions. We are staying with it, for now, because it is complicated to change source control platforms.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the option to pull changes from others or make local changes in your own change list. There are also shared change lists.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problems with this solution have to do with scale. If the load is high then your request is put on hold for a second, and then you have to handle it. If you make a lot of requests then it is your problem. It would be very helpful if a queue was implemented to handle, for example, 100 requests at the same time. Any additional request would be put on hold and made to wait for a few seconds. Once the network and infrastructure are loaded to handle the next request, it would proceed.

I have been working with Perforce for the past four years.

We have had some trouble with stability because our scale is so big. We get a lot of Perforce network exceptions and this is a big problem for us. Our branch is very, very big, and not something Perforce should support, so we could say that we are abusing the system.

We are at the limit in terms of how much this solution can scale. Being very close to the limit, we tried to make some local improvements like setting the retry delays. We were hoping to reduce the load on Perforce. Generally, we can say that we have not had an excellent experience with Perforce.

We work with engineers that support Perforce. If they need assistance then they contact Perforce themselves to ask them. Our IT department is very big and everything goes through them. Because of this, we do not have regular interaction with technical support.

This is not our main tool. We use QuickBuild more often. We originally chose Perforce before the cloud solutions, and we are a big organization so moving to another source control system is a little bit complicated.

What other advice do I have?

Perforce is part of an old fashioned system that is not fully in the cloud. I would not suggest others use it unless they have some other solution for cloud integration.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.