Performance Center Review

It keeps a run log and allows for script and scenario versioning, although trending reports do not always work as I would expect them to.

Valuable Features:

Performance Center allows multiple users to access and work on a project simultaneously.

Additionally, it keeps a run log and allows for script and scenario versioning.

I also like the scheduling feature that allows us to manage multiple projects using the same controller and load generators.

Improvements to My Organization:

I am a performance tester, and I need a product that can maintain my scripts, scenarios, monitors and run logs. Performance Center is my product of choice.

Just recently, I used the command line feature to create scripts that can be used across multiple environments. That feature saved me a great deal of time --thousands in man hours over the last year.

Room for Improvement:

The trending reports do not always work as I would expect them to. I have had issues with transaction times being pulled in correctly.

Additionally, trending a test run can take over 30 minutes when it should take five.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for five years.

Stability Issues:

Performance Center requires regular maintenance in order to remain stabl

Scalability Issues:

The company I work for provides Performance Center support.  Orasi has won several awards for their HP support.  I use Orasi support when ever I require customer service for an HP product.  I have never had an opportunity to use HP customer service.

Previous Solutions:

I have had the opportunity to use two other products briefly. Unfortunately, I did not have enough experience to speak to this with any authority.

Initial Setup:

I was not involved in the deployment of any of the instances of Performance Center that I have used. However, I have been involved in three different upgrades for three different clients.

When Performance Center is managed properly with proper maintenance, there were no issues with upgrades. I have seen instances of script corruption, user access difficulties and project corruption.

It is necessary to have an experienced Performance Center administrator providing regular maintenance.

Implementation Team:

Orasi Software does Performance Center implementation. I am not a member of that team. I have been on projects where Performance Center was implemented by the client and then Orasi was called to correct any issues.

Again, I cannot stress enough how important it is to have an experienced administrator. It may cost more initially but it will save time and money later.

ROI:

The return on investment is immeasurable. One of my first clients was an entertainment company that called us after their production site had gone down for a day. The reservation system was down for over six hours. They estimated they had lost in excess of three million dollars an hour.

Regular performance testing prevents such occurrences. Needless to say they have not been down since.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The price tag on Performance Center is a large one. It can be daunting. There are so many options now with Cloud Controllers, using Cloud Load Generators, purchasing VUser licenses by the day or even hour. Additionally, Performance Center in the cloud relieves you of the essential maintenance and administration requirements.

Other Solutions Considered:

I was trained on HP LoadRunner and then Performance Center.  I was not involved in any evaluation process.

Other Advice:

Performance Center is not difficult to pick up for a beginner. When I was first introduced to Performance Center, I had just started my career as a performance test engineer. It is not completely intuitive though. I believe there are some extraneous requirements. As I mentioned before an experience administrator is recommended.

The command line feature allows you to set a parameter value at the scenario level. It can be applied to all scripts in a scenario. This feature has saved me a great deal of time.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Orasi Software is an HP Partner. Orasi software sells HP software solutions, supports all products we sell and provides installation, upgrade, training, mentoring and consultants to use the products we sell. Additionally all of our consultants are well versed in non HP software solutions.