Performance Center Review

We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time.

What is most valuable?

What I really like is our team's core competence in building good tests that really do find issues, because of our full-time dedication to it. We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time, so that they in an agile fashion, on demand can go ahead and get real issue-finding testing done; then to go ahead and have that pulled into trending reports so that even subtle differences or trends over time are found and not just game-changing defects. Again, it's a platform to get expert level things done for the masses.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to on the reporting end show how even though we don't have a smoking gun on this release, and it made everything so terrible that we've got real quality issues, we know when it started and that it's only getting worse. When you're tracking many subtle interactions, this is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I know there are integrations with continuous testing. It's got tie-ins to some of the newer tools to allow continuous testing. I'd love to see us not have to customize it, but for it to be out of the box.

I have some concern over its foundation for utilizing cloud testing hosts in the most integrated fashion. For example there is reliance in AWS to utilize default VPC, and also there is not deep knowledge about utilizing *nix hosts though they are supported.

I have used this solution at four different places starting 13 years ago.

It's good. It's been around a long time and we've been using it a long time. It's stable.

We're up to 60,000 users. It's got a good system for being able to take a vast amount of data that you haven't put into a particular report and chug through it. It could take a while, but it's stable at that.

It comes up periodically; typically when we're doing something we haven't done before. We actually have a combination of support through them and one of their value added re-sellers, AVNET. We actually get level one support through them, so it's a partnered supported arrangement.

Typically AVNET can handle anything unless it's truly about requesting a new feature or enhancement. You need to get back to the product management and developers to request such things.

It has many tiers, it's not a single system thing. You definitely have to take the time to architect it correctly, to have a full topology. I've done it a few times.

What other advice do I have?

As professionals, we're supposed to be some what tool agnostic. We'll find a way to get it done. That said, it's a mature player in the space. We do enjoy some long time knowledge about squeezing the good stuff out of it.