Performance Center Review

The number of protocols it supports is a key asset for us

What is most valuable?

One of the things in the airline business, we see that our number of users varies on a day to day basis, from season to season. So, from an airline business standpoint, we are looking at scalability as one the major things and how can we adapt the solution in an agile fashion. If we want to ramp up the "Our Views" account, from, let's say 10,000 to 50,000, how can we do that? That kind of scalability is the main key thing we are looking at.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the key things we use is simulating the actual user experience on the log. We have a huge set of applications from front end to the back end systems. How do we integrate all these systems and how do we simulate the real time user behavior? That's where we see a key value.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we were looking for is more of a DevOps support, like BlazeMeter has. It would be an ideal scenario to incorporate those kinds of features. I know there are some open software products which have that but it would be ideal to see those features in the product.

As of now, it's working great for us, it's excellent. We don't have any issues. That's one of the reasons we are pushing forward to version 12, to incorporate the other protocols, which version 12 comes up with.

We are at version 11.5 and we are in the process of upgrading it to version 12. We are pretty happy with the solution we have.

We do have a dedicated team. They work with our tech support and with their tech support in terms of the installations and stability of the product and usability. All those issues, they take it up with tech support.

Tech support is pretty excellent. We are getting pretty good responses back from tech support and, as of now, we are happy. We do have a contact too, from the United Airlines side too so I'm pretty happy with that.

Ours is more of a historical basis. We were on version 9, we moved to version 11, and we are right now at version 12. It's more for historical reasons rather that an impulse buy.

I didn't work on the installation of 11.5, but right now I'm working on version 12.

Internally, we have a lot of planning to do on our side, like a database upgrade, LGs, all that stuff but we are coordinating that with HPE and Micro Focus and making sure that our timelines and their timelines match. And we do have upgrade licenses, which should be pretty good to go.

I would say the relations between us and Micro Focus is straightforward because all we are looking at is basically license upgrades. On our side, it's more complex because we have to internally work with various teams to coordinate all this activity.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor to work with are the product, how easy it is to use the product and, again, how scalable the product is and how it suits the needs of United Airlines. And, of course, the customer support, and how technical support deals.

Regarding advice to a colleague, it depends on the industry and what kind of problem they are trying to solve. If it is in the airline industry, I would definitely suggest to them, "Okay, this is a perfect product because of the number of protocols it supports," because we looked at other open source software and we couldn't find a product which matches Performance Center, which supports so many protocols. So, especially in the airline industry, we are using multiple protocols and we need that support. I would definitely recommend that.