PernixData FVP [EOL] Review

​We would like to have deeper analysis per virtual machine, but it helps us to boost the performance of our existing storage systems.

What is most valuable?

• Boost storage performances giving new life to our existing storage investment
  • Possibility to use just RAM or both RAM and SSD storage
  • PAYG model licensing (at least for CSP)

How has it helped my organization?

We've been able to create a new catalogue item; our customers now have the possibility to choose a faster storage for their IaaS at a different price.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have deeper analysis per virtual machine.

I've been using it since February 2015, so six months.

No issues encountered.

Not because of them. During a power outage we lost some data, but it was our fault since we set it up as a write through option instead of a write back. Anyway, it's a very unlikely scenario.

No, in fact, this is one of their key advantages.

9/10 - higly responsive, just in the previous critical situation we had to escalate to a 3rd level engineer.

7/10 - qualified, but it's a little bit rigid to find a workaround for our previous situatuion.

This is our first solution of this type.

I can say it was reasonably straightforward.

We used a vendor team, and they were very highly qualified. He was one of the first developers of the product, and one of their best engineers.

In our case (CSP) the PAYG model is perfect. If perpetual licenses, I evaluated the cost as too high, and too hard to afford for a common private mid-sized company.

We evaluated some SDS, but we wanted to keep our existing storage systems. We decided on a software solution, and we didn't even consider others because of their leadership in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a support in the setup process. Implement it if really needed because of old storage and high IOPS requested apps, and a new storage investment will result too high to cover the same performnances