PernixData FVP Review

Our company needed IOPS to solve the bottleneck on the storage side, but storage upgrade costs were awful. We achieved IOPS values nearly 6-10 times faster without any hardware upgrades.

What is most valuable?

Incredible IOPS increase in storage: IOPS is required to fulfill a disk job faster. It is input/output per second. When you request a report on your SQL server, you need as much as IOPS you can. So many IT guys put their most important databases on SSD disks to reach the maximum IOPS within their storage. But SSD disks are still so expensive. On the other hand, if you have multiple VDI systems in different locations, you will experience boot storm every morning on your VM servers. You need IOPS to handle this problem and it leads you to buying more SSD.

With FVP deployment, you create more IOPS than by adding SSD disks, with a lower rice. Additionally, you will be able to create tiering across your clusters.

• Architect dashboard tool: You can see the overall performance of your FVP cluster. It even provides valuable info that VMware can't report to the user about the VM performance. You can add sources on your cluster or move VM systems among tiered clusters. Also, it is possible to see the amount of latency decrease and IOPS created without adding any SSDs to the storage.
  • Low initial cost
  • Works with different flash resources such as NV PCI cards, memory and SSD
  • Ease of use
  • Stability

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, our company needs IOPS to solve the bottleneck on the storage side, but storage upgrade costs were awful. Instead, we chose FVP and achieved IOPS values nearly 6-10 times faster without any hardware upgrade.

What needs improvement?

Right now, you can only use this technology in VMware environments. Definitely supporting different OS and hypervisor systems would help this product reach a much larger community.

This issue has not actually affected me. However, other people won't be changing their hypervisors and OSs to use FVP, so it does limit the audience.

I have been using it for more than 18 months.

Stability is never a problem with FVP. Just install and forget. Type software and with parity level 2, you can have the same protection level as RAID6. You lost two of your nodes but your data is still reachable.

You can add as many server nodes as you want to your FVP cluster, so it isn’t an issue. But you have to start with at least three nodes.

Technical support is quite qualified and responds fast. Fortunately, except for technical questions, we haven’t had to open a ticket for an error or malfunction.

We previously used different solutions, but the main problem was none of them supported all flash resources as does Pernixdata. Some of them work only on memory, and some of them only with SSD.

You don’t even have to shut down the system to install FVP. It’s installed on the fly and no downtime occurred. Sure, you’ll have to follow a procedure to install FVP+Architect. It’s like one hour, at most, under normal conditions.

If you are a vSphere Essential Plus customer, then it’s a real bargain, because you buy three FVP hosts at a very low price. Unfortunately, prices will be much higher if you use vSphere Standard or Enterprise editions.

What other advice do I have?

It is pretty effective for companies who need to upgrade their storage or server systems to reach higher IOPS with high protection levels.

It definitely costs less compared to hardware upgrades, which can’t provide as high IOPS as FVP.

I can answer any technical question as well because I have installed and managed 7 FVP deployments.

1 Comment
Kartal YukselReal User

As Pernixdata is acquired by Nutanix, you may need to try something else instead.

Like Primary IO or Infinio