pfSense Review

The product offers many additional functions except the ability to manage it from a mobile platform, which would be good to add.

What is most valuable?

Two particular features stand out to me:

1. The WAN load balancing feature
  2. The product offers many additional functions such as router, WLC, and traffic analysis etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enhanced our organization because of its versatility. It doesn't need expensive hardware to build a robust firewall, therefore, providing a saving on cost. Also, its reliability is quite remarkable which allows IT to focus on other tasks, and how efficiently it manages our WAN traffic.

What needs improvement?

I think the dashboard/interface could be improved and the ability to manage it from a mobile platform.

I have used this solution for the past two years.

No issues encountered.

I have never had to use customer service.

I've never used it, but their technical knowledge base, and via online documents and forums, is quite good, but not excellent.

We didn't have a previous solution.

It wasn't straightforward but at the same time not complex. The only issue was identifying relevant static routes to move traffic in and out our network.

I implemented it myself.

The setup cost was practically zero because we had servers in stock. Also, there is no real day-to-day cost attached with it either.

No evaluation took place, we just looked at the initial cost to implement a solution using the hardware we have, and how fast it could be rolled out

What other advice do I have?

Plan, research and test certain features and configurations in a lab environment first.