pfSense Review

Having a customizable, large dashboard would be good, however, it is very straightforward for a beginner to set up.

What is most valuable?

• Load balancing multi-WAN (High latency)
  • Queues with CBQ algorithm
  • Traffic shaper (limiter)
  • Aliases for grouping anything
  • VPN (OpenVPN)
  • DHCP server (with ARP reservation)
  • DNS forwarder
  • Firewall
  • Graphs for monitoring
  • NAT

How has it helped my organization?

Before using pfSense:

• I always had problems with internet connection for users
  • I had no idea what users were downloading and, therefore, what was killing the internet connection
  • I did not have not statistics on the quality and stability of the internet
  • To get a VPN I had use a pay software that offered lower performance than I have now

What needs improvement?

I always need to open different graphs on different windows of the web browser to have an overview,  Therefore, it would be good, if it is possible, to have a customizable, large dashboard.  At the moment though, the others options are good because I am a beginner with the pfSense.

I've used it for six months.

No issues encountered.

There was an issue with the Layer 7 filters on an old PC.

No issues encountered.

No previous solution was used.

It's very straightforward, even for beginners.  There is documentation and different tutorials and videos available in different languages.

I implemented it myself.

The only cost to set up is the hardware for a standard PC and any ethernet card extensions.

No, as I asked a friend they told me to get pfSense without doing other research.

What other advice do I have?

Don't install pfSense on a machine with only the minimal recommended hardware configuration, but on a better machine.