pfSense Review
By installing pfSense and configuring load balancing and limiting bandwidth, we now have a reliable and stable connection.​

What is our primary use case?

Primary we use it for bandwidth limiting and load balancing our ISPs. And Pfsense excels doing that.

How has it helped my organization?

We had two ISPs, and still our Internet connection was awful. By installing pfSense and configuring load balancing and limiting bandwidth, we now have a reliable and stable connection.

What is most valuable?

Routing, load balancing, Traffic Limiter and queues. Since this company relies on an Internet connection, having these features is a must.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and real-time monitoring, since I'm used to Watchguard's reporting features, it would be nice to have an embedded solution for reporting.

Close to none. One time, while upgrading, the system crashed and had to install from scratch. After some research, it was due to an unsupported package that I had installed which the new version didn't like. I just installed and restored my configuration and that was it. No biggy.

Haven't tested this part since the company hasn't grown much.

Haven't used the official support channels. The community forum is awesome when you're looking for quick answers.

Actually, PfSense replaced a Watchguard firewall, mostly due to costs. But I haven't missed it since.

Very straightforward. For a small company with few configuration options it works almost out-of-the-box. The firewall comes with basic outgoing and incoming rules, and you take it from there.

The implementation was made in-house.

If you need to buy hardware onto which to install PfSense, go with their boxes on their website, they are great. If you already have the hardware, just download and install, it works great either way.

I did, I evaluated Untangle, IPCop and MikroTik.

What other advice do I have?

Just go with it, can't go wrong.