pfSense Review

Hotspot and overall stability needs improvement but easy to use and has high performance

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for a firewall and other operations, such as traffic shaping.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found best are ease of use, GUI, and performance.

What needs improvement?

The hotspot and the portal feature in this solution are not stable for WiFi access. We use it at least once or twice every day and it crashes. Some modules can be better by improving detection and having new updates. Additionally, we have some issues with clustering and load balancing that could improve.

In a future release, they could redesign the policies because we need to write inbound and outbound simultaneous policies. They could change it to one policy, such as in FortiGate, Sophos, and Cyberoam. In these firewalls, we add rules in one way, and they add rules automatically. However, in this solution, we need to write every policy manually.

They can improve in site-to-site tunnels with other devices, such as Cisco or FortiGate. It is not very easy to set up VPNs for site-to-site tunnels.

There have been some problems we have been facing with BGP routing that needs to be improved.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

The stability could improve.

Since this solution is software-based it is easy to scale. We can extend the UIs by adding some hardware, such as CPUs and memory discs. We would not be able to match this type of scalability with a hardware-based solution, for example as FortiGate.

This solution is best suited for small to midsize networks. When there is heavy traffic in larger-scale businesses it becomes less reliable.

I have used FortiGate previously and this solution is cheaper and more reliable.

The solution is easy to deploy.

The solution is free. However, you need to pay for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate pfSense a five out of ten.

More pfSense reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about pfSense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.