pfSense Review

Creation of certificates and the facility to administer services are valuable features

What is our primary use case?

I have used it in town halls with a number of employees ranging between 40 and 60. I have also used it in educational institutions.

How has it helped my organization?

The use and results may vary according to the objectives of the institutions.

In the case of city councils, I have taken the maximum advantage, taking into account that they were small institutions for which the tools provided by pfSense were sufficient according to the requirements of those institutions.

However, in educational institutions, it was more difficult. Sometimes, the tools have fallen short.

What is most valuable?

• The part of the firewall and aliases
  • The content filter in non-transparent mode and transparent mode with Squid and SquidGuard
  • The possibility of adding packages to perform network analysis
  • Creation of certificates
  • The facility to administer services

What needs improvement?

The product is good in many of its departments, but this should make HTTPS filtering more efficient since Squid falls short when using man in the middle. It works, but it is not 100% efficient. It requires more attention to provide a better alternative for open source to small government or educational institutions with reduced budgets in terms of technology.

Three to five years.
3 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
Manager, Live Production at a software R&D company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Thanks for the information!

18 April 18