pfSense Review

I have not had one issue with it at all, which is amazing

What is our primary use case?

We have mainly been using for our internet workstations.

How has it helped my organization?

After we started with testing with it a bit, it showed that it can be utilized in a way that we wanted to utilize it.

What is most valuable?

I have not had one issue with pfSense at all, which is amazing.

What needs improvement?

Layer 7 filtering has been taken away from pfSense. They would like us to use Snort, which is a good thing, but I would like them to make the Layer 7 thing easier.

The one reason that we did not go with pfSense is that it is not centrally managed like Meraki, where you log into the website and can see all your services there. This is the only reason why we are going with Meraki.

We would like to be able to see is all the configurations from a central interface on all our pfSenses.

Stability has been excellent. We have experienced no issues; it never fails.

There is a lot of stuff that you can add-on. You can actually write your own APIs to connect to it and so on. So, there is a lot of scalability in pfSense that other products do not have.

We have not using technical support. We have only been using the community version.

We used to use Empalis. We actually started to replace our Empalis with pfSense first to do testing, and see if it would actually work for us. This was just a test phase, before we went over to Meraki. So far, pfSenses outperform Merakis.

I setup all of it. I set it up for our country, and I did it all remotely. I learned from the community how to do it. The process to install and configure is very straightforward.

It is a free solution.

We originally looked at SonicWall, but we chose pfSense because of pricing (since it is free) and it has issues that pfSense does not have.

We are currently migrating over to Meraki and are having a lot of issue with it. Also, with Meraki, you pay through your neck for it.

I would not have made the decision to move away from pfSense. pfSense has been giving us better options than what Meraki is giving us at the moment. I have got login problems with Meraki which takes about two days for them to sort out. If I was on pfSense, I would sort it out myself.

What other advice do I have?

They need to look at all the communities, comparisons, etc. and read up about the issues and problems people are having with some of the solutions, then see if those problems might be related to what they may be experiencing.

Main criteria when selecting a vendor:

• How easy is it to learn.
  • How easy is it to implement.
1 visitor found this review helpful