pfSense Review

Compatible with VoIP platform and is easy to understand

What is our primary use case?

We use pfSense as our firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

We install it for clients that don't have a network available or the network is not ready for phone deployments. We're a phone company. We use pfSense to connect to the router and normally we connect clients to client VPNs, and then from there, we can have access to the internal network so that we can see all of the files.

What is most valuable?

We generally use it because it's cheap. When we need something more robust we use Barracuda and Sony Wireless Routers. For certain clients, we use pfSense because it's compatible with the VoIP platform.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see SD1 integration into the software. That would be fantastic.

Three to five years.

The solution is pretty stable, that's why we use it. There aren't any problems.

The scalability is fine. If you need to have a bigger client or something like that, it's simple. You do a backup and then you restore into a new appliance and go from there.

We provide technical support for our clients so we don't use a third party company for the support, we do the support in-house.

We also use MikroTik, Barracuda, and StoneWall.

The initial setup is fairly simple, not complex. We can get the deployment done in around half an hour.

We deploy pfSense for our clients. We have one technician maintaining the whole thing.

Our return on investment is fast. We see a return on investment from day one, it's a fairly cheap router.

What other advice do I have?

Any network engineer will understand how this solution works. It's not so complex to understand and be familiar with. It will require a certain level of networking knowledge to use it but we're at an enterprise level and we're a small-medium business and it works.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.