Pivotal Greenplum Review

We were able to analyze and produce output on large volumes of data very quickly which saved us lots of time.

What is most valuable?

Greenplum is an MPP architecture database. Data can be distributed across multiple nodes and strong distribution will allow queries to execute on all segments at once, which is very powerful. As long as we have good SQL knowledge, we can start playing in the platform. Greenplum uses Postgres and ANSI Standard SQL. Also, it supports many other procedural languages, such as Python, C++, and Pearl.

How has it helped my organization?

Greenplum is a high powered, multi-node database that was chosen for its capacity to ingest and query data at extremely high rates of speed, enabling in Database Analytics and Statistical output on granular levels of data that was otherwise inaccessible before its deployment. We were able to analyze and produce output on large volumes of data very quickly which saved us lots of time (we used to wait for hours to get the same output). The management was able to get insights very quickly so that they can make informed decisions.

I used Greenplum between Aug 2011 – Aug 2015. Almost all the members in the analytics team used Greenplum on a daily basis.

There were no issues, and it was doing what it was supposed to do.

There were no issues, and it was doing what it was supposed to do.

We had a pre-sales consultant who provided end-end solution about the product. Also, he was working with our data and clearly demonstrated the advantages of Greenplum. After we purchased the product, we were provided a full time consultant who had extensive knowledge about the product. He was primarily responsible for providing hands on experience on projects and also did excellent job of teaching everyone and bringing everyone up to the speed on the new platform. We also had a technical person offshore who was responsible for fixing things if something breaks up or any other issues.

We did use other products in the company but it wasn’t an MPP architecture database. Our data was getting bigger so we needed something with MPP architecture to tackle big data challenges so Greenplum was considered. It was a management decision to purchase this product (not sure whether other similar products were considered or not)

All the set up I believe was done by Greenplum team.

I didn't have any visibility on the pricing and licensing. But I can say that, we needed product like Greenplum to store, manage and analyze huge volumes of data which can be daunting task

What other advice do I have?

Greenplum is a MPP (massively parallel processing) database which is extremely fast. If people are dealing with very high volume of data, it is definitely a product to consider seriously

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: To my knowledge, we were one of the biggest customers in Canada, they were looking for our feedback to improve the product offerings.