Pivotal Greenplum Review

It only takes minutes to process millions of record. The bug fixes come as many patches like a start up instead of having scheduled release with proper improvements.

What is most valuable?

• Parallel processing
  • Takes minutes to process millions of records

How has it helped my organization?

This has improved our daily load process reducing the run time at least by three to four hours which made other departments within the organization to look for data from the Enterprise Data Warehouse.

What needs improvement?

It acts like a mainstream product not a novice any more. There are a lot of areas that can be improved. The bug fixes come as many patches like a start up instead of having scheduled release with proper improvements.

I've used it for five years.

It took a while to fully take advantage of this as we had to come up with lots proprietary solutions when linking to other products.

There is no issue with its stability.

There is no issue scaling it.

8/10 we had a technician come out on a new year in 2012 to fix some hardware failure.

We were one of pioneers in adopting this solution. So we got the best deal when compared to the competitors in several areas.

The initial move was a bulk transfer from the old system to new Greenplum based solutions. It was all done by Greenplum contractors. But to get it working with other products was challenging.

Greenplum employees developed and supported the initial move. Later they became remote consultants with support through phone and in-person as needed.

They gave a really good deal and we have been with them for five years even though the product got bought over by couple of different companies.

What other advice do I have?

You need strong DBAs and architects to support the initial transfer.