Pivotal Greenplum Review

Valuable features for us: Append Only tables, data compression and bulk load and extraction using External Tables.

Valuable Features

Append Only tables, data compression and bulk load and extraction using External Tables are very valuable features for us.

Improvements to My Organization

We have improved our quarterly statements turnaround dramatically and could sustain for increasing data.

Room for Improvement

With the ORCA optimizer the earlier Append-Only feature has been upgraded to Append-Optimized where now we can update the data on earlier Append-Only tables just like any other heap tables. But I found this has increased the time taken for Vacuum Analyze operation on these tables like from 10 mins to 1 hr + (on large tables). In our case we don't need an update on our Append Only tables and hence this became a drawback. VA on Append-Optimized tables need to be improved.

Backup & Restore performance need to be improved.

ORCA optimizer when turned on is not showing consistency. Some workloads shows improved performance and some workloads became very slow. This need to be improved for consistency.

Use of Solution

I have used it for about 4 years now.

Pre ORCA version was stable. ORCA release is not stable. Some workloads slowed down with new release even when the new optimizer is not turned ON.

Tech support is average. They lack information about new features in the new releases and the possible impact of them.

Earlier we were using OLTP based RDBMS solution. We realized we needed a OLAP solution and also something that can scale horizontally.