Pivotal Greenplum Review

An excellent open-source solution with great analytical performance

What is most valuable?

It's a good core database. Scalability and performance are very good. I also like the fact the solution is open-source, so you can use it free of charge.

What needs improvement?

Some integration with other platforms like design tools, and ETL development tools, that will enable some advanced functionality (like fully down processing, etc.) would be helpful in future releases. Also, if the solution could offer automated creation of DDL statements from power designers, for example, it would be very useful.

I've been using the solution for five years.

It's a software, and like any software, it has some bugs. However, you can add new features to improve it. Overall, our customers, who are big telcos, have been very satisfied with the platform and with its stability and performance

Scalability is simple because it's an MPP database. If you need more processing power or you need more storage, you just add a few more nodes in the cluster. It works on common commodity hardware. You can use any type of server. You don't need to have proprietary hardware. It's fairly flexible.

The solution requires a minimum amount of downtime when scaling. You can even add additional nodes without any downtime at all. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can just reconfigure it and the background processes, and Greenplum will do the redistribution of the data.

Technical support is very good. The model they are using to fund the development of their open-source product is via revenue from support for enterprise customers, so they are very attentive when issues arise.

The solution is very straightforward to set up and is also easy to administer and develop using other open-source tools.

It's open-source, so it's free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a partner that works mainly with enterprises. Mostly the partners are big telcos and we deal with tens of terabytes of data.

MPP and columnar databases are the future of the analytical landscape. The era of appliances is over, so implementation of an MPP database on-premises or on the cloud is the way to go. Greenplum is definitely one of the leaders in this area.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. If they improved the integration with other platforms in the landscape I would rate it higher.