Planview Enterprise One Review

Enables us to see planned project start and end times along with their costs

What is our primary use case?

It's primarily for project and portfolio management, which includes resource assignments onto projects as well as financial management of our projects.

How has it helped my organization?

When we implemented it, we were able to intentionally assign resources to the projects that they've been approved for. Previously, we didn't have a way of restricting resources from charging time against any active projects that we have. By utilizing Enterprise One, we were able to reflect and show the resources when they went to enter their time sheets for only active projects and projects that they were approved to work on. This meant that they were charging hours against work that their project manager was expecting them to work on.

We are still going through a lot of transformation as an organization on the whole. Planview is a good partner because one of the ways that we have tried to change our strategies is to move to a product-based approach. I think Planview will help us with that.

It has helped to transform our organization’s delivery. It is enabled us to see actual planned start and end times of projects, then we can look back when the projects actually closed out. This gives us an opportunity to look back, and say, "Why did it take us so long to finish a project, especially if it went above the proposed plan?" It also manages our costs to say, "Based on how we're trending on our costs, how are we going to finish within budget? Are we likely to go over budget?" This also affects schedule.

Planview has helped connect funding and strategic outcomes with work execution because we utilize the strategic module within Enterprise One to help with that work.

The biggest impact has been resource assignment and management. It has helped us consolidate those and be very intentional as far as the tasks that resources are assigned to track. It has a big impact on our financial planning as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the resource management, the time sheet entry and usage, and the financial planning. With our projects, we primarily focus on resource assignments, as far as determining the actual forecast and actuals of our projects. A lot of it is based off of the resources utilized on those projects. The time based helps us capture the actuals. The amount of time people are spending on working on their project tasks. Because they've built this into the schedule, so we can build the forecast. With financial planning, we're able to look back on what our variance is and if there is anything between the scheduled forecasted hours, dollars against the actual hours, and the costs that they utilize.

We are able to adjust it based on any process changes that I've identified as far as our work types and the way our workflows work. We're able to go in there and make those changes ourselves. It's helped us because we can do some self configurations.

What needs improvement?

I would like a bit more flexibility, as far as the configuration, and have additional capabilities to configure, making it more flexible for our use.

We've been using it for 14 months.

It's very stable. I am very happy with the stability.

It is very scalable. I think it's helping us grow, as far as we are a changing organization. Planview has been able to grow with us in that respect.

We've used that technical support. We have faced some challenges with some of the enhancement requests that we might want information on and the process it takes to get some of those changes put in. The process has improved from when we first implemented it. We have noticed a difference.

I am leaning towards rating the technical support a seven and a half to eight out of 10. I would expect that next year, I'll probably be able to rate them a 10.

We're using Innotas at the time, which is now Planview PPM Pro. Ironically, we didn't realize that they were going to be acquired by Planview when we started using it. We switched over just for maturity and to have better financial planning and reporting application as well.

It was a bit complex due to the change nature of the product from where we were with our old legacy application, then moving onto Planview. Once we settled in, it became easier to use and manage.

We partnered with Planview in terms of the initial deployment. They had an onsite consultant who helped us with the configuration and creating the test environment before we were able to cut over and move into the extra production environment. The experience with them was very good. I would rate the experience as a 10 out of 10. We had a very good cut over experience.

We don't track the ROI. I think that there is some ROI available just based on the cost of how much we've been spending on our portfolio the last year and on how Planview has helped us manage those costs.

From PPM Pro to Planview Enterprise One, we did not evaluate other vendors. We already had the relationship with Planview from using PPM Pro so that helped us. Planview came to us very receptive. Also with the costs, they were very understanding. Knowing that we were an existing customer, they were very much willing to work with us to make sure that we were able to transition to Enterprise One.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate them as a solid nine out of 10.

Give Enterprise One a fair consideration. It is very scalable and flexible with the changes that we are seeing with version 17. There are a lot of integrations, so the capabilities are much broader than what you may initially perceive. I would definitely put it up there as a product that is as good, if not better, than anything that's out there in the marketplace that is similar.

We are not yet using the Lean/Agile delivery tools, but we're hoping to do so in the next couple of months.

Other