Planview Enterprise One Review

Created a consistent way of reporting our schedules and milestones

What is our primary use case?

Mainly, we use it to manage all of our strategic and capital projects. There are about 80 to 100 projects per year that we manage with it: schedules, issues, risks, and financials. We manage everything in the tool.

How has it helped my organization?

Our reporting is much better. There is much more visibility on projects, schedules, tasks, and in our milestones. Now, we have a consistent way of reporting out to the committees and getting all of our schedules and milestones.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reporting. We are able to extract monthly reports out of Planview Enterprise One. We then report out to our leadership and executive committees. It is a combined report that lists all of the issues, risks, our schedule, and milestone. It gives leadership as well as all the committee members and everyone a one page view of the progress of the project.

The tool is easy to use, and that is good.

What needs improvement?

We had some learning issues at the start, but now that the users are in the tool day after day, they are getting there.

Power BI versus getting reports within Planview could improve. Instead of having to leverage Power BI, those reports could just be generated within the Planview tool using the tiles. This would be a huge jump for the product.

We just went live in March, so about six months.

For most part, it's pretty stable. The only issue that we have seen is with the reports. Sometimes within the application, when you pull a report, it takes awhile performance-wise for the reports to pull up. Otherwise, it's good for the most part.

The technical support is pretty good. We have opened up many cases with Planview which get addressed in a timely fashion.

It's when we want to get into integrations that the time response could be a bit quicker.

It is changing the culture of project management within our company a little bit. Before, we had multiple tools, so project managers were either using Excel or some had Microsoft Project. Reporting was done in different ways. This tool just brings the project management community together. We're all on the same tool and reporting on the same structure.

The initial setup was complex because we also implemented it in a three month time frame. This was a pretty aggressive timeline for us. We got it done.

We didn't get all the integrations done, but that was sort of our phase two. We started in December with our build portion and went live in March.

We did not other vendors.

We're part of UT. Because we already had an existing contract within the UT system, we piggybacked on that contract and utilized that to implement Planview.

What other advice do I have?

It is about a seven or eight out of 10. I think for the most part that the tool itself is excellent. It meets our needs. It gets us the reports that we want. It has all of the portfolio and program management functionality. All of that is working well. I would've given it a 10 out of 10 if the integrations in some of the reporting capabilities were easier,