Planview PPM Pro Review

Helps make good decisions on what projects to take or how to prioritize them, but we have had ups and downs with the support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is resource demand capacity planning.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us make good decisions in terms of what projects to take or how to prioritize projects when we have multiple directors from the business or product. It has definitely helped us prioritize and work on our critical things.

The biggest impact from Planview has been prioritization, planning, and taking on the right things.

What is most valuable?

I like the resource demand capacity planning module. I don't think we are using it to the fullest potential yet. There is a lot more benefit that we can get if we use it right. I have seen the dial features, which are quick. There are capabilities within the tool that give it a quick read on how the teams are loaded, and we still haven't used them to that extent.

Day-to-day, once we understand what to do, it's very easy to use it.

What needs improvement?

We don't use their existing dashboard functionality. Hopefully, with the new reporting release that is coming out in November, we will be able to evaluate as to how we can leverage that. What I hear, "Everyone has either a Tableau or something else because Planview doesn't provide a dashboard." We should not need to use another tool. Planview has the data, so it should be able to give us what we want. This would also reduce costs since we are paying licenses for those tools too.

Three years.

It is definitely stable. I haven't seen any major issues.

We haven't had scalability issues too because we don't have that many entries in regards to performance and scalability testing so far.

We have had both ups and downs with the support. We have been with Planview for three years. We have the new department that is just implementing Planview. They have been complaining about the support that Planview has provided for them with respect to their implementation. So far, our department hasn't ran into any issues. That's why there have been both ups and downs.

It was pretty straightforward. There is a lot of work to do in terms of setting it up the first time, but once setup, it runs smoothly.

We are implementing Planview for another department right now.

While it has been helpful, we are not taking advantage of the tool as much as we should be.

I was talking to the Planview Chief Marketing Officer earlier about trying to see if there were opportunities where we could pilot this, even if that means getting some licenses that we can use to pilot and show the value before we actually purchase those licenses.

The top contender was CA Clarity versus Planview. We went with Planview because Planview had a lot more flexibility than Clarity.

Most of the attributes are configurable. We can change it to our own needs, which I didn't see with some of the other tools that I evaluated before starting Planview.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at somewhere around a seven out of 10. We haven't used some of the functionalities, so that is where I'm not going too low on the rating. It definitely serves the purpose of what we wanted it to do in terms of resource demand capacity. However, we are still not able to use the dashboard, which we will get onboard. Now, within my team, I have 18 project managers creating dashboards every week. That's almost 18 hours per week, then multiply that by a number of weeks. That's where I am reducing the rating for Planview right now. I'm hoping that will change with the dashboard release. We'll wait to see.

We don't use Planview for strategy planning. We could use the tool a lot more, and that's my takeaway from the Horizons conference too. We still use a lot of spreadsheets because it's all in people's mind. We haven't had the leadership buy-in to use the tool to support us.

We don't use PPM Pro with Projectplace.

More Planview PPM Pro reviews from users