Plixer Scrutinizer Review

Helps us understand what's going on in our netowrk. Client VPN and DMZ

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case was statistics. Now, it's mainly security and operations.

I am using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It has become an essential and helpful tool for in my daily work. If we didn't have access to the tool, we would have more difficulty getting a long-term overview on the growth of our network. As we have gathered statistics for more than 10 years, we know about the implementation of traffic on our network to also justify our work and investments. From my point of view, it would be more difficult without a NetFlow accounting tool.

The solution helps enrich the data context of our network traffic. A very good example is a feature recently discovered denied firewall flows, which helps us understand what's going on in our DMZ. It also helps us figure out misconfigurations, It is really a very helpful feature.

It shows us the saturation of the network of devices. It gives us a clear view of the flows in the network to understand, for instance, planning upgrades in the network to get an idea of what's going on in the network for traffic flows. It gives us insight, for instance, on what's going on our VPN Client. There are a lot of things where it provides very helpful information. It also gives us our security reports with quite detailed information on what's going on in the network, and whether there are data exfiltrations and so on.

In a few cases, it has helped resolve network events. It has also helped resolve security events. We found a couple of security issues that we wouldn't have found without the tool.

What is most valuable?

• The automatic reports that we use for statistical purposes.
  • The security analytics.
  • The security alarms.

I have been using it for more than 10 years. My company has been using it longer.

On a scale from zero to 10, the stability is about an eight. From time to time, we have some issues that need to be fixed by their support. Usually, the support fixes the issues quite quickly. I would say it is between good and very good, in that range.

There is one person (the head of the network group) who maintains the server right now. There is also a backup if they are not available. We have a few people who are able to do some configurations on the system.

My personal impression right now is that we've reached a limit, or we are near a limit of flows per second, because we see that our system is getting quite slow. I suppose it's a hardware issue, not an issue of the software.

The actual size of the network is above 3000 users.

They are really great. With my most recent experience, two days ago, they responded quite quickly. They're immediately available. Usually, they have a solution to fix the issue during the call or web conference. With the most recent call, I had four questions and issues. They didn't say open four cases. They fixed or answered the four questions, then asked me whether I had other questions at the end. The support is perfect.

I never used another NetFlow accounting solution. I got to know the NetFlow concept at my current company.

The initial setup didn't seem to be that complicated. I found it already implemented, but we did a lot of migration steps. It seems to be quite easy to implement.

If I would have to implement it again, Scrutinizer is not that difficult to implement versus any other appliance. It is more complex to configure the exporters, but there is a lot of current, good documentation on the Plixer site for this.

In our situation with 25 exporters, it might take a half a week to do the implementation of the server. It's usually performed by Plixer, or with the help of Plixer and the hotline. First of all, I would use the test license to do a proof of concept to do the implementation. Then, I would test one or two devices, gathering some reports. I would also create an implementation plan.

We have seen ROI.

We recently bought a license upgrade, so we will integrate more exporters. We upgraded from a 25 exporter license to a 50 exporter license. Therefore, there will be more flows, and this will be an extension.

Compared to other solutions, the functionality Scrutinizer delivers is better.

I have one comparison to another product, which also has very basic NetFlow accounting.

What other advice do I have?

When dimensioning the server hardware, we decided to have many CPUs, much memory and a large storage, but we learned that the storage has to be as fast as possible. It would have been better to invest in SSDs instead of HDDs.

We thought about using FlowPro. We see a very good use case for it, but right now we are working just with the flow collector for enhanced reporting.

It is really a very good security improvement. In the last two years, we learned that it's a very good security tool to learn more about what's going on in the network, not only in terms of network saturation, but mainly in terms of security incidents and break out.

18.16.85489
More Plixer Scrutinizer reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Stealthwatch
Learn what your peers think about Plixer Scrutinizer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.