Polarion Requirements Review

A holistic solution that offers good test management and is very stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case involves developing custom products. We manage the requirements there.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest improvement would be in the transparency we have now. We have very complex products. We make whole systems with difficult and diverse areas such as hardware, software, mechanical and printing, etc. To get the overview of all the requirements into a system, at that sizing, is the main advantage we have in the organization now.

What is most valuable?

The tool as a whole is very valuable. It isn't just one or two features. The combination of requirement and test management is very good for us.

What needs improvement?

The one thing I would mention is the license policy is a little bit difficult. For different roles, you will need different license models. That seems a little bit difficult for us. Especially when you introduce such a complex system, you want to know the right way is to do licensing. It's not clear what that best way would be. The solution will be here for a long time, and I just think it could be more clear.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. We have around 50 licenses.

I've never reached out to technical support personally, but my colleagues have, and I have not heard any complaints, so I believe they're okay.

I have experience, from the very basic former engineering requirement, with Excel. It's not really acceptable for the complex items we have. We had another product which was not so good because of the user experience. We have chosen Polarion to make things easier.

This is a new product for us. We have to monitor the experience over a longer time to see if benefits will come to us.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

My advice to others considering implementing the solution is that you should check your requirements for such a tool and process. Everything depends on the company. Our experience was to first fix the process of engineering requirements for vendor tools. We had to prepare for the introduction of the solution very well by creating a proper process. It's very important to go through everything beforehand.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.