Polarion Requirements Review

Well-structured, but the import feature and the dashboards need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for systems engineering and department management.

We have a private-cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

I like the way this solution is structured.

What needs improvement?

This solution has its limits. If we have more than one thousand work items in one live-book then it becomes almost unusable. For example, if you are trying to use a finance book then the loading times will be so long that you will time-out. This means that you have to sign in locally with a desktop and work on it there, although it is still slow. We spoke with Siemens about this and it cannot be improved. Even with more memory and more processors, it would still be the same.

This solution is not as handy as it could be, and it would benefit from improvements to the dashboards.

The import feature should be improved and made more like IBM Rational DOORS because there are too many things to set up.

We have been using this solution for two years.

The stability of this solution is rather good, but you have to consider that with the size limitation. If you have too many work items then you will not be able to work with it.

This solution is scalable, but again it has limits. It can be scaled to a certain degree with new processors or memory, but it hits a point where it cannot scale anymore.

We have approximate ten people using this solution. They are all engineers.

The technical support for this solution has always been very helpful, but they are not always reachable. Sometimes, you have to wait for them.

There is another central support station for them, which is the Siemens Help Desk. You can put in a ticket and wait for an answer.  You may have to wait for several days or a couple of weeks before you get an answer. Sometimes it helps, and sometimes it doesn't. This wait time seems usual to me because there are other systems that have longer ticket processing times.

I have used IBM Rational DOORS, but I think that it is a bit old school. It is only usable from one perspective.

DOORS is better than this solution with respect to import and export because you don't have as many problems. For example, in this solution, you have to define all of the variable types and enumerations. You don't need to do this in DOORS.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty straightforward. It was not too complex.

The deployment took us three or four hours.

One engineer or administrator is suitable for deployment and maintenance.

Siemens assisted us with the implementation.

I also evaluated codeBeamer after we had adopted this solution. I think that it may be more modern and have more straightforward use cases.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use it only for smaller projects.

I cannot think of any features that should be added, but some effort should be put into making the existing ones more usable.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.