Portnox CORE Review

Allows us to see all the devices and where they're connecting, but they need more support staff

What is our primary use case?

It's being used in a bank of over 4,000 devices, and so far it has been good. No complaints.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous to the deployment we didn't have complete visibility of all the endpoints, all the devices that are connected to the network. But with the deployment of portnox, we could see all the devices and where they're connecting. We can equally segregate and apply different rules, policies to each location that we didn't monitor specifically.

What is most valuable?

It's agentless, and it's scalable.

What needs improvement?

For now, they just released the new version which has a completely different design interface, and there are some other improvements that were added onto it. So we need to look at it and understand how these features impact the performance and all that before we can make a recommendation.

One thing they can look at is increasing the number of support staff so that there will be more people supporting the solution than they currently have.

It's very, very, stable.

Of course, it's a scalable solution. One server can support up to 10,000 endpoints and cannot equally be deployed in clusters, where you need more than 10,000.

Tech support is good.

It was easy. It was straightforward. Once you follow the guides it's not complicated.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a product, if I want to bring in a new solution, I will look up the competing solution: What features do they have that are better than what I'm bringing, which will put me in a better position to make an informed decision and advise the customer accordingly.

If I'm to advise a customer that wants to buy a similar solution, I would first of all find out what their needs are, what their priorities are. Would they want agent or agentless? Would they want software or hardware? Those are the questions I would have to ask before I can say, "Go for this," or, "Go for that." Honestly, all NAC solutions are the same, they do the basic work. So it all depends on the environment, what is obtainable. Some companies don't want agents in their environment, so they go for agentless. Some don't want hardware, so they go for software. So my position is to advise.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10 because it meets my needs of ensuring that my network is protected. But then, I believe there's room for improvement.