Before PostgreSQL, I am an avid user of MySQL for a long time. When I began my masters in a renowned school, I was introduced to PostgreSQL and started to like it. Here are the few things I have loved about Postgres:
• It is free and compatible in all platforms
• It performs very quickly and can outperform Oracle, SQL server and IBM DB2
• It uses SQL windowing functions which are rarely found in other open source database platforms
• It uses CREATE EXTENSION which can easily extend without changing the database structure and no code compilation
• It has multiple programming languages such as SQL, PL/pgSQL, PL/Perl, PL/Python, PL/Java, and PL/R etc.
• The custom type support is very easy to use and very sophisticated which competes Oracle in terms of performance
Room for Improvement:
• Windows versions were released ten years after the initial release
• Replication is not so powerful in later versions
• Postgres is not so popular compare to MySQL
• PostgreSQL community has lesser support
I cannot stress how highly I recommend PostgreSQL to my fellow programmers. The features and functionalities are beyond the abilities of other free database platforms and are comparable to the proprietary ones. Some advanced features may also be seen to the license databases but you’ll amaze how advance PostgreSQL may become in the future but in zero cost.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Apr 17 2013