PostgreSQL Review
PostgreSQL is a Powerful and Full Featured Relational Database Management System

Valuable Features:

Before PostgreSQL, I am an avid user of MySQL for a long time. When I began my masters in a renowned school, I was introduced to PostgreSQL and started to like it. Here are the few things I have loved about Postgres: • It is free and compatible in all platforms • It performs very quickly and can outperform Oracle, SQL server and IBM DB2 • It uses SQL windowing functions which are rarely found in other open source database platforms • It uses CREATE EXTENSION which can easily extend without changing the database structure and no code compilation • It has multiple programming languages such as SQL, PL/pgSQL, PL/Perl, PL/Python, PL/Java, and PL/R etc. • The custom type support is very easy to use and very sophisticated which competes Oracle in terms of performance

Room for Improvement:

• Windows versions were released ten years after the initial release • Replication is not so powerful in later versions • Postgres is not so popular compare to MySQL • PostgreSQL community has lesser support

Other Advice:

I cannot stress how highly I recommend PostgreSQL to my fellow programmers. The features and functionalities are beyond the abilities of other free database platforms and are comparable to the proprietary ones. Some advanced features may also be seen to the license databases but you’ll amaze how advance PostgreSQL may become in the future but in zero cost.
1 visitor found this review helpful

3 Comments

it_user6579Consultant

No doubt PostgreSQL is one of the best open source RDBMS, as it provides almost all features which are available in Oracle SQL server and IBM DB2. But at times it is slow in performance, compared to other RDBMS like Oracle.

18 May 13
it_user6414Consultant

PostgreSQL solves the problem that face many developer who find it hard to shift from one programming language to another when developing an the front end application to the database. Its ability to support a wide range of PL is great feature.

19 May 13
it_user6579Consultant

Yes agree with ambapo, Procedural language support is one of the great feature and advantage of PostgreSQL.

09 June 13