PostgreSQL Review

Worked for years on Oracle, decided to move to PostgreSQL because it's a first class product. The partitioning is basic.

What is most valuable?

The SQL is very close to the standard, the richness of of procedural languages and the strong attitude to the data reliability.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is used to ensure the data delivery and the HA features are used to enforce a non stop service.

What needs improvement?

The partitioning, is still very basic and not touched for years.

7 years

More a lack of knowledge rather an issue. PostgreSQL implements the data management in a very peculiar way. Ignoring this can result in disasters. And often this does happens. A better explanation about the architecture will reduce the risk.

Not on the production side. I’ve seen a lot of bugs or misconceptions on the HA side. Same as question 7, It’s more a lack of information than an issue.

The product scales pretty well.

Customer Service: As this is an community managed system there’s no customer service. There are companies offering support, I never used as I don’t need it.Technical Support: Quite good. The mailing list are a good way to have quick response. What really lacks is a centralized knowledge base like the Oracle’s metalink/otn. That is what I’m really missing from the oracle universe.

I worked for years on Oracle. I decided to move on PostgreSQL because I think is a first class product.

Using the packaged way is almost immediate to install the product. Even the compile from source is a task any system administrator or advanced linux user can do it without any problem.

It’s an in house team.

Basically zero for both. The product is released under the BSD license and, apart from my salary, my employer have no extra costs on using PostgreSQL

I considered in the past MySQL and Firebird.

What other advice do I have?

Employ a DBA to work together with the developers.
More PostgreSQL reviews from users