PostgreSQL Review

All our company data is stored in it with a BI solution on top, but it lacks the ability to do distributed queries across multiple installations out of the box.

What is most valuable?

It supports full text search, and windows functions.

How has it helped my organization?

All our data is stored in PostgreSQL, and we use a BI solution on top to gather all the important metrics to our business, so the whole company has a clear picture of what is going on.

What needs improvement?

It lacks the ability to distribute queries across multiple installations out of the box.

I've used it for seven years.

No issues encountered.

I've never experienced any data loss.

No issues encountered, even when querying through third-party applications.

I've never had to deal with customer service.

The support in the community is excellent, the documentation is great, and questions submitted to the mailing list are quickly answered. The IRC support is also excellent.

I used MySQL, but I needed support for full text search. PostgreSQL adds this, and also many more advanced SQL functions.

Setup was very easy on all platforms that I use - Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows. It is a simple walk-through installation.

It was done in-house.

It's a free solution, and we use it as a data store, it's all return.

PostgreSQL is free software. The only cost of setup was a few developer hours, and with it being stable, we don't have any day-to-day costs.

• MySQL
  • Microsoft SQL Server

What other advice do I have?

PostgreSQL is one of the most stable data sources out there, and it offers you the most advance and modern functions on SQL so you can do more with less.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users