PostgreSQL Review

It is a very safe and stable solution.​ ​A better export facility which is GUI friendly would be an improvement.

Valuable Features:

JSON data support is most valuable to me as it saves design and maintenance time. It is a very safe and stable solution.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are spending less time parsing API response and more time exploring data. We spend time understanding APIs and how to interact with them, If we can load responses directly to the database that saves many man hours for a project.

Room for Improvement:

A better export facility which is GUI friendly would be an improvement. Also if we could export data from grid that would have been helpful.I have used HeidiSQL for MySQL which is very user friendly, pgAdmin III is not that helpful when it comes to different features we need to use like export,filtering and connections.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for one year and am still exploring it.

Deployment Issues:

We had no deployment issues.

Stability Issues:

We had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

We had no issues scaling it.

Previous Solutions:

I have worked with MySQL, Microsoft SQL, db2, and Oracle. We chose PostgreSQL for its JSON support as our APIs are sending JSON responses and PostgreSQL is like home for JSON. Choosing it has helped our cloud computing requirements a lot.

Initial Setup:

On Windows it's straightforward, but on Ubuntu, it was a bit complex when it came to database and tablespace division through PSQL.

Implementation Team:

We did it in-house.

Other Advice:

If you are thinking of using PostgreSQL, all database names, table names and column names should be in small letters. PostgreSQL requires every capital letter to be quoted which makes life difficult for developer.