PostgreSQL Review

Valuable Features

It is fast, compact, flexible, and scalable. I like the fact it is not tied directly to a server OS, such as Microsoft SQL Server. Being open source it is very budget continuous for our clients.

Improvements to My Organization

There are a few little odds and ends like all SQL servers that differ from other SQL servers. The way it handles logical, the fact it does not support primary keys on views etc. My experience is all SQL servers have little differences from each other. PostgreSQL is far more robust and built for production use than MySQL which I have also used.

Room for Improvement

I would love to have primary keys on views. This function missing has made PostgreSQL harder than need be with Microsoft Access as a front end.

Use of Solution

I have been using this as a back end server for various front end applications for about five years now.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Like all open source community supported products, the technical support is hit and miss. I have found tho, there is a large user base and I can usually get good ideas how to do a work around within a few hours, day or two at the most.

We used Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server. Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server were simply too expensive for smaller customers. MySQL had too many short comings to make it a workable solution.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. A lot of the setup for a typical installation is a Linux scripted Boot-Install disk. Answer a few questions and you are off to the races.

Implementation Team

Did the implementation in house. Not for everyone, but then, if you are installing and utilizing a standalone SQL Server you have to be a pretty computer savvy person.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Being open source this is not really applicable.

Other Advice

PostgreSQL is a great SQL database, powerful, flexible, but it is not something to be considered over other things. The most important issue for a database, if what back end do your mission critical front ends support. With PostgreSQL we found next to nothing we would not do with other open source applications.