PostgreSQL Review

As it's free, this enables us to develop applications without having to think about budgets, and gives us greater flexibility. It needs improvement with programming languages like PHP.

What is most valuable?

Speed and price, it’s fast and reliable, and free.

How has it helped my organization?

Due to budget restraints procuring software is always an issue, and mainly production systems are well maintained. However development systems are not usually so well off. As PostgreSQL is free, this enables us to develop applications without having to think about budgets, and give us greater flexibility. There is still reluctance by business to accept free ‘Open Source’ software, but proof of concept development can be achieved at no to low cost.

What needs improvement?

Simplicity in design and improvement with programming languages like PHP.

I've used it for four years.

In development it’s super sensitive with comma, quotations, and letter cases. It should not be. If we use uppercase sometimes it works and sometime not, and its need to be single quote sometimes but sometimes double quote.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We've had no issues with scaling it.

I've never used customer services, but it needs a better documentation.

We use both MySQL & PostgreSQL, some applications have better compatibility or built in tools, this decides which database we use.

It's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

So far we have not had any issues with this database are we are using this in development and production systems.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users