PostgreSQL Review

It is very easy to optimize queries within bigger databases (100GB).

Valuable Features

Many supported features out of box like fulltext search, partitioning, easy replication - slony, pgpool-II and streaming wal and additional features such as JSON, XML, arrays in columns, and many extensions for it as PostGIS.

Improvements to My Organization

I'm working as architect for a custom software development company and we are using Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle DB and PostgreSQL as our main databases, in recent years Postgre is offering more and more useful features which we can use. For its open source model and very good documentation is very easy to optimize queries within bigger databases (100GB). Also its free and its lowering price of our solution so we can (and we are) address smaller customer.

Room for Improvement

The biggest issue that we are having is upgrading and moving databases between servers and versions. Restoring database is slow with pg_restore because indexes are need to be rebuilt. What I'm missing is a query profiler similar to what is in Microsoft SQL Server. PgAdmin should also be easier to use for beginner users.

Use of Solution

We have been using PostgreSQL for about 10 years.

After many years of usage we are not experiencing any unusual problems with PostgreSQL.

We are not using customer service or technical support.

We are not using customer service or technical support.

We are using PostgreSQL for new installations and new versions of our solutions where it's possible, and the customer does not require a specific SQL server. Nowadays it's covering all of our needs.

Depends, for basic setup, it is quite straightforward but for more advanced features (like WAL streaming and hash indexes) it is a bit harder during the first few days because of a lack of documentation and experience.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There are no license fees for getting PostgreSQL and we don't yet have experience with paid support such as from EnterpriseDB, but we never needed it.

Your first investment is only in people working with PostgreSQL, and it is the same as with Microsoft SQL Server, but less than with Oracle. Hardware costs are lower for PostgreSQL and Oracle but those are not significant.

Other Advice

My advice is to read documentation thoroughly and don't be afraid to look into source code. A great source is https://momjian.us/main/presentations/overview.html