PostgreSQL Review

You can call from SQL and dig deep into the query planner with its excellent Explain functionality.

What is most valuable?

PostGres is a fantastic modern RDBMS and its open nature allows you to get as low level as you need. You can define functionality, you can call from SQL and dig deep into the query planner with it's excellent explain functionality. The true open community is loaded with helpful people who believe in OSS. Every feature in PG is first, present, but secondly mature and just works. You may have bugs in your code but PGSQL will never be the cause of it.

How has it helped my organization?

It drives our enterprise architecture we are building.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that could potentially be improved is PGAdmin3, the DB Client that's has not been updated in quite a while. PostGres keeps ahead of the curve on it's feature set. For instance the new JSON column that's come out recently to provide nosql functionality that has been benchmarked to outperform mongo.

We had no deployment issues.

The product is quite stable, and provides awesome performance.

There's been no issues with scaling it for our needs.

It has a great support community.

I started with this product.

It's very straightforward initial configuration if you start with your distro packeges.

It's very easy, and you only need to familiarize yourself with its file structure. Sometimes you need to write your own plugin, so sometimes it is better to have it implemented by a vendor.

It's free as it's open source.

What other advice do I have?

It's go good reliability and is very compliant with standards. If you are installing relational DB you likely know how to use one. If you're not familiar with RDBMS's make sure you look into and use the features of the DB like views etc. They all serve a purpose and will improve your development if leveraged properly.Huge feature set.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users