PostgreSQL Review

Top feature is PostGIS, the spatial extension. I also like the Key-Value column type and the JSON column type.

Valuable Features:

The spatial extension, PostGIS, is amazing and probably the gold standard. I also like the Key-Value column type and the JSON column type. Apart from this, it has all the other features you will need in an RDBMS and then some. It has a vibrant FOSS community with a great license and it has plenty of books and documentation

Improvements to My Organization:

Rather than using Desktop GIS software we were able to carry out a lot of our spatial operations faster with larger datasets by moving the operations into PostgreSQL. We also save a ton of money on Oracle licenses. Finally, rather than having to give up my relational features, I can use the JSON data type and get everything I want.

Room for Improvement:

They need to work towards making it work better in a cloud environment. Also, I would love to see them developm multi-master replication.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

There have been no performance issues.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Other Advice:

Get a good book so you can get exposed to all the great functionality in PostgreSQL. I would highly recommend looking at the postgresql.conf configuration settings when you are ready to go into production.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with Crunchy Data Solutions who provide their own postgresql distribution.
More PostgreSQL reviews from users