PostgreSQL Review

Good for database management, free to use, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to develop the databases for your application. I used it personally for a college assignment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source and therefore free to use.

You can do the same actions as you can with the SQL Server.

It's a standard reliable database management system.

The solution comes with an option to work in dark mode, which I appreciate.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be much better. Maybe it took a little bit longer to understand the menu options and so on. On top of that, it's a web interface. It makes it uninteresting to look at. It's not so appealing as the options that Microsoft offers. It's a separate program that works separately and you don't mess with the browser. It works okay, you can do what you need to do, however, it's not, in my opinion, so professional-looking. That said, it's open-source so I can understand that they prefer to do it like that.

The installation process could be better organized.

The stability could be better. they release new versions all the time and they aren't quite as stable as we'd like them to be.

We've only used the solution for a few months. We used it for two projects. It was basically used across two semesters. We have used it in the past year.

The solution is not as stable in comparison to Microsoft SQL Server. I had some issues with a version, and I had to re-install it last year. Now, however, it's working fine. That said, they are always launching new updates and they seem to release them too early as they are not so stable.

I'm not sure if I will continue to use the solution. I used it for an assignment, and that's it.

I did not contact technical support. I've never reached out to them directly. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I've also worked with Microsoft SQL, and I find the product to be much more stable.

The initial setup could be a bit better. They have some improvements to do especially with regards to the additional tools they propose. That part is just a little bit messy. Other than that, I thought it was very easy to install it. It's not overly complex.

I was able to handle the implementation myself. I did not need the help of a consultant or integrator.

The solution doesn't cost anything to use. It's open-source.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'm mostly happy with its capabilities.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this product for beginners.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with MySQL
Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.