PostgreSQL Review

Has robust backup and recovery integration, but should consider including the possibility to use query routers on sharded clusters

What is our primary use case?

We use PostgreSQL for most part of our mission critical applications.

The solution has a very robust backup and recovery integration, and has good ANSI SQL language.

How has it helped my organization?

We are considering migrating to this platform due to its robust backup and recovery solution, among many other features.

What is most valuable?

• Robust backup and recovery integration.
  • opensource
  • easy to integrate with applications and high level programming languages such as; python, ruby, java, C, perl, php...

What needs improvement?

• Possibility to use query routers on sharded clusters.
  • Remove the limitations of how many changes one can have on the databases before it requires to reset all blocks, which are very painful.

More than five years.

No issues.

Yes, as the database grows, one has to perform a full vacuum in order to continue to work on the database.

Another issue is that the "archive_command"s are executed in sequence, instead of in parallel, and as the WAL size is fixed to 16MB, and it is not possible to change in a configuration file, this will have a huge impact of protecting the WAL logs to a backup system.

10 out of 10.

10 out of 10.

We switch to this solution due to its stability and that it is open source.

The initial setup is simple.

We implemented it in-house.

The software is free, and very easy to find for skilled people.

Use backup software that integrates with the solution.

We selected "DB Protection for PostgreSQL", which has some nice features to perform block level incremental forever using IBM Spectrum Protect.

Yes, we reviewed MongoDB, MariaDB, and MySQL.