PostgreSQL Review

Familiar to other solutions, stable, but not use-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the back-end database.

What is most valuable?

The PostgreSQL database is similar to the SQL Server but has a slightly different technology that has similar resources as well. If the customer has the confidence using SQL Server, they will be fairly comfortable using this solution.

What needs improvement?

PostgreSQL could improve by being more user-friendly. In SQL Server they have a studio where you can easily do management but not in this solution.

I have been using PostgreSQL within the past 12 months.

I have found the solution stable.

The solution is scalable but it could improve.

We have approximately 10 users using this solution in my organization.

We are using the open-source version for eight years. We have to rely on our own skillset to manage it.

The installation is easy.

We did the implementation ourselves but it is always recommended to use an expert.

This solution can offer a cheaper choice for customers since it is open-source.

I have evaluated SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a startup company with a normal production environment then this PostgreSQL should be fine. However, if there is a professional environment where there will be some support requirements and mission-critical applications, then they should choose an alternative, such as SQL Server.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate PostgreSQLa seven out of ten.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with MySQL
Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.