Postman Review

Offers good data-driven automation and response validation but the fields should be more organized

What is our primary use case?

Almost all the teams here depend on the APIs, which are built-in SOAP or JSON. We have multiple teams testing JSON and they use Postman. There are multiple applications teams that integrate their interfaces with APIs, and they use the Postman.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to test APIs with different kinds of data by keying in the data from Excel sheets and using it to test APIs in Postman. But now, our testing is more data-driven.

What is most valuable?

Among the valuable features are

• data-driven automation
  • response validation
  • testing of the performance of APIs.

We can also submit requests multiple times and it allows us to capture the response each time by using utility scripts.

What needs improvement?

When you get a response, for example, if you search the response and want to know how many numbers of fields, it displays 10 times. If a purchase has five to 10 cards in the response, instead of one of the fields being mandatory, it has to be part of each section of the cards. I would like that if you click on one of the fields you should be able to see the entire row of fields, names, and values.

Half of my career has been on web service testing only, and we have used Postman for JSON testing. For SOAP, we use ReadyAPI.

We only use Postman for JSON testing, but we don't have any issue with it.

We have also had no issues with scalability.

We have not had to contact Postman's technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes a maximum of five to 10 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

The deployment is done by the development team. We have a giant scrum we follow. Development does the deployment using XL Deploy. And right now they are not using Jenkins.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.