Primera Review

Good compression and performance, easy to expand, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and all-flash storage is one of the products that we sell to our customers. Primera is one of the ones that we recommend for data centers.

What is most valuable?

Our customers have given very positive feedback about InfoSign, which is the management software for this solution.

Primera has good performance and the compression is also good.

It integrates well with other software including Docker and Kubernetes.

It is easy to expand.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be expensive for small business and it could be priced more competitively for that market.

We have been working with Primera for six months.

This is a stable solution and none of our customers have reported a problem with it.

Scaling the capacity is easy with Primera. This is for medium-sized businesses, as the larger businesses usually choose Nimble, and in smaller businesses, they use cloud-based solutions to save on operating expenses.

The support from HPE for this solution is really good.

I work with a variety of vendors for all-flash storage solutions including Nimble, Primera, NetApp, Pure Storage Evergreen, E8 storage, and Huawei. A lot of the products from different vendors have the same features. This suitability of one vendor over another depends on their budget, as well as their plans for growing the business in the future.

Pure Storage Evergreen has the number-one compression and deduplication capability.

When a customer wants good performance for their database, we suggest Primera, Pure Storage, and perhaps Huawei. At this time, we also discuss other features with the customer so that they understand them.

NetApp is another vendor that is a popular choice in our market for medium and large businesses. Similarly, our customers have had good experience with Dell Storage. When it comes to Big Data and a lot of capacity, Dell is the solution that we recommend. Huawei has good solutions and they are more competitively priced than others, and the performance is not bad.

I have not set up this solution personally but with the feedback that I have heard from the engineers, I know that it is very easy.

The price of this solution is good for medium-sized and large businesses.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Primera is a good product and if it is suitable for the requirements then it is one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.